While we were still in Hawaii, I saw a television commercial for the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards and beamed with excitement due to the fact we were scheduled to be in Los Angeles at the same time. But what were the chances of actually being able to attend such a glamorous event?! Slim to none, right? Or so I thought!
I managed to locate the casting company 1iota that were offering the exclusive opportunity to attend the VMA’s and submitted my information. Four days later, I received an email offering me a pit ticket to VMA’s – the best view in the house!
Insert intense screaming here.
I’ve been watching MTV from Australia since I was 10 and my obsession with music is huge. Having the opportunity to attend this event while traveling made me feel extremely lucky and all I could do was count down the days until the event arrived.
The day has arrived!
Finally, the day of the MTV Video Music Awards was here! Although the event didn’t begin until 6pm, we needed to arrive at the LA Live holding area at 12pm.
This was tough – I was in a city I didn’t know, standing in 90-degree weather and without a cell phone due to the fact they were strictly banned from the event.
The next 4 hours consisted of keeping in the shade as much as possible (whilst sweating like crazy!) and trying to keep our hair and make-up still looking good – not an easy feat! Fortunately the time went quickly – there was so much excitement in the air and before you knew it, it was time to walk over to the Nokia Theatre.
Entering the Nokia Theatre
“We’re going to be walking very slowly to the venue. There is to be no running, pushing or shoving”, the staff informed us as the huge group walked over.
That lasted about 10 seconds! People were sprinting past me, pushing, shoving, dropping things, losing their shoes and one girl even ran directly into a fire hydrant! Insanity! To ensure I wasn’t left behind, I picked up the pace a little and ended up getting a spot right in front of the stage, second row from the front. The shape and set-up of the stage meant I got plenty of amazing views and was so close to all the action!
Over the next 2 hours we watched the setting up of the stage and the crew telling us what to do and what not to do. The celebrities then started walking in and took their seats just behind us – we all watched on as each person went crazy for their favorite celeb. From Jersey Shore’s Pauly D (super dark tanned skin and big hair!) to Kim Kardashian, Taylor Lautner, Katy Perry and Russell Brand – so many famous faces in the one building.
Roll cameras – and insider secrets!
Finally the show began and it was well worth the wait. Lady Gaga emerged as her alter ego Jo Calderone – yes, it was a bit weird but was amusing to watch and she never stepped out of character the entire night even when the cameras were off! She really pulled it off.
Rather than recap the entire night (you can watch the entire show online via MTV On Demand), I’ll share my opinions, thoughts and even a few little secrets.
- Kim Kardashian spent the entire night on her cell phone – tweeting, I’m guessing. In total, the VMA’s drove a whopping 10-million tweets. None from me unfortunately – damn that cell phone ban!
- It’s been said before but congratulations to Beyonce and Jay-Z on their announcement – as she showed her baby bump to the world, his proud beaming smile lit up the entire room. Being arms length from Beyonce made me realize that she was even more stunning in real life. For some reason everyone needed to put on oversized white t-shirts for her performance but no idea of the reasoning for this.
- The Jay-Z and Kanye performance was amazing and I touched Jay-Z’s hand! (insert another huge scream!). A fan decided it would be a great idea to run onto the stage during the performance (this can be seen on TV!) and believe me, they were not happy about it and warned everyone during the next commercial break that this is how you get arrested!
- A lot of Britney Spears fans were waiting for her big speech after receiving her Video Vanguard Award but she read the entire thing off an auto-cue! Made it not so exciting to watch from within the theatre and you can definitely pick it when you watch it on TV.
- During the commercial breaks, the lights would go on and the celebrities would move around. It was hilarious watching them run around trying to get pictures with each other – some looked just as excited as I would have been!
- Chris Brown’s spectacular dancing routine resulted in him losing his $22,000 diamond-encrusted Rolex. The fan that found it returned it to Chris who gave her VIP backstage passes to his show and a meet and greet. Would you have been so honest?
The show wrapped up with Lil Wayne, who was easily my favorite performer. He’s always got such energy and knows how to put on a show! Very glad you can’t see me on TV during Drake’s introduction or his performance though, it would be quite embarrassing to see how crazy I was!
As the night wrapped up, I somehow still had my voice (very surprising!) and enjoyed a day/night that I will never, ever forget!
We’re currently road tripping through California thanks to the generous help of Fox Rent A Car. Photos courtesy of MTV.